14 June 2010

WEEK TWENTY-FOUR - 'LIFE OF PI' & 'HENRY IV, PART ONE'


'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel
June 7 - 11, 401 pages

I enjoyed this book. It's just a great story that is told very well. It was interesting - I learnt lots of fascinating things about animals. Like 'prusten,' the sound a tiger makes 'to express friendliness and harmless intentions.'

The only parts of this novel that I struggled to pay much attention to were those about religion, but that's just me. It redeemed itself with some excellent ideas: 'To be a castaway is to be caught in a harrowing ballet of circles.' And Richard Parker is a brilliant name for a tiger.

'Henry IV, Part One' by William Shakespeare
June 12 - 13, 116 pages

Another diverting Shakespeare

Yes, I did like 'Life of Pi'. It reminded me of 'Robinson Crusoe' and, as with that novel, I was most impressed with Pi's survival techniques.

'Henry IV, Part One' was good. It took me a little while to get into it and really want to know how what was going to happen. But I did eventually get into it. I should read Part Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment