18 April 2010

WEEK SIXTEEN - 'THE BOOK THIEF'

'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak
April 12 - 16, 554 pages

I read 'The Messenger',  also by Zusak, a few years ago and really enjoyed it so I was excited to see this book in the bookstore. This novel is quite different to 'The Messenger' but is still very good. I really enjoyed the little facts and information scattered through the book. Very clever. I think in that way - with brief interludes to explain and reflect.

I also loved the section of the book which is hand-drawn and written. The illustrations are delightful. I read that part as I was walking down the street and I was beaming at the page. Embarrassing, but I could not help it.

A lovely, sad, clever read. The story is very well told. 'Max and Liesel were held together by the quiet gathering of words.'

Yes. I liked it. Quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment