25 April 2010

WEEK SEVENTEEN - 'THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO' & 'THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY'

'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson
April 19 - 21, 533 pages

I had been meaning to read this for a while, but had always been put off by how big it is and all the hype surrounding it. It took a few chapters, but once I got into it, I was really into it. I just had to know what happened! And it did not disappoint. A good, engaging read. I also enjoyed it for where the novel is set. Scandanavia fascinates me and I would love to go there. Not sure I could handle -37°C though. I will definitely be reading the next two books in the Millennium Trilogy.

'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde
April 22 - 25, 248 pages

Wilde really writes with brilliant style. The book is tense, haunting and macabre. I'm glad I read it; it is a fantasy to which anyone can relate. 

My favourite line in 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' was, 'She is a peacock in everything but beauty.' I also liked the character Lord Henry, his many theories, and the way he has one for each topic that comes up in conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment